3.27.2008

Ten - I'm Still Alive (Question Mark?)

So I'm thinking it's been quite a while since I've been 'round to the Blogspot world, for which I apologize. Many personal things have prevented me from updating fully, and at this point I really don't feel like going back through them. Most of the important people in my life know anyway, so it's a moot point to the only people who read this.

In any case, we're going to start again.

This week has been one of those excruciatingly painful weeks of my life. Having many bad weeks in the recent past, this one perhaps will trump them all. Let's see if I can remember everything that happened.

Sunday was Easter, which our household didn't celebrate much of this year. In light of recent emotional and mental exhaustions, we decided to lay low. I spent most of the day working on my portfolio, as 1/3 of it was due the following day. Halfway through the day I had a near-breakdown over the fact that I didn't think Kinkos would be open in order to print my work. Sparing you the boring details, it turned out Kinkos was open, and I was able to print. I was the only person in there besides a businessman doing online correspondence in the corner, so it was quiet and I was able to use the good printer. Win.

Monday's class was painful, for reasons I do not wish to go into. I'll only say that I don't quite understand my professor's disdain with my portfolio as I've already landed three jobs with it. It seems to be working for the design world, and so to me her opinion is useless. Still, the way she approaches me about these issues is hurtful, and makes me feel as though I may never get anywhere with this work I'm doing. Deep down I know this isn't true, as I really have landed jobs with the portfolio I have, but it still stings to hear that from someone.

HERE'S A FUNNY STORY FOR YOU THOUGH.

Monday night I desperately needed to do laundry, as I found no time the previous weekend to do any. The laundry room was relatively deserted, as opposed to the masses of wet laundry just sitting there I usually encounter during the weekends. I put my laundry in the washer, set my timer for 38 minutes exactly, and head back to my apartment.

Now, you should know, I am pretty punctual about my laundry. In fact, obnoxiously so. (The times Katherine and I do laundry together on weekends, I usually stand in the hallway at LEAST five minutes before laundry is done saying we should go get it. She finishes whatever she was doing, and by the time we get there I realize I WAS early and feel silly for dragging Katherine there.) Anyway, I get back to the laundry maybe two minutes after the washer has spun its last cycle. I encounter two boys in there doing laundry - and one of them was touching my things.

"EXCUSE ME" I state rudely. He jumps and turns around, staring. "These are my things," I state politely, and start taking them out of the washer hurriedly. Now, I am not really one for confrontation, but someone messing with my clean laundry really ticks me off.
"Geez, sorry, I was going to use this washer" MeatHead replies.
"There are two open washers right over there" - I point - "You could have used those."
"Well this one is next to the one I already started."
At this point I decide not to continue, because frankly he's an idiot. I throw my things into the dryer and start the timer, when I hear him make a flippant response about Women and How They're So Emotional to his friend.

At this point I tell him to do something Not Very Nice to Himself, which I will not repeat here because frankly I'm a bit embarrassed to look back and see that I said it. Not that he didn't deserve it, because he totally did. I rushed out and ran back to my apartment, worried he'd follow me and see where I lived and then OH MY GOD I WOULD HAVE TO MOVE.

But he didn't. And so we live on. Upon recounting the story for Katherine she found it extremely amusing.

HERE'S ANOTHER FUNNY STORY.

Tuesday evening I had an AIGA meeting to attend. I went a bit early so as to walk the Long Way to CFA so I could clear my head from previous events of the day. At a stoplight I stopped and waited to cross politely. I waited for the white Walk Dude to appear, and once he did I looked ALL AROUND ME to make sure nobody was turning in my direction. Nobody was turning right, and the only car waiting to turn left didn't appear to be going anywhere, so I made a move to cross.

Once I am mid-crosswalk the car turning left decides this is a good time to go. The idiot behind the wheel obviously didn't see me, even though it WASN'T DARK OUT YET and I AM WEARING A BRIGHT YELLOW COAT. Not just yellow, or light orange, but like....SCHOOBUS YELLOW. CROSSWALK SIGN YELLOW. YOU CAN'T NOT SEE ME IN THIS COAT.

Needless to say, had she continued she would have hit me, as I had nowhere to jump off to. She realized I was directly in front of her, screeched and swerved to a stop. She looks out her passenger side window at me and makes a face that says "OH MY GOD I AM SO SORRY!" and continues to speed along her way.

Flabbergasted I continue walking, unaware of the fact that I almost just died. I look after her and realize there's an "I HEART JESUS" sticker on her bumper. Enraged, I yell at her speeding car "I DON'T THINK JESUS WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR RECKLESS DRIVING" and continued on my way.

Later that night, also recounting the story for Katherine, she found it extremely amusing. I eventually did too, but at the time was extremely angry at her behaviour.


Needless to say the week has been trying my patience. And my life, apparently. I was almost broadsided by an old man in a pickup truck barreling his way out of an alley next to my apartment this morning on my return from class. I think it's a sign of something, though I don't know what.

And so today is Everything's Funny Thursday, although it really started last night when Katherine and I had the giggles so bad we were collapsed on the floor. This weekend I plan on laying low and buckling down on schoolwork. I've set deadlines for myself I haven't yet accomplished, and am constantly kicking myself for this. If I don't get down soon, it may never get done.


Remind me later to tell you about History of Rock And Roll and how I owned my professor. And how his 'knowledge' of The Who is pretty skimp.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Your ability to pretend that I'm not a huge slacker about doing anything (everything) is the nicest thing the internet's given me all week.

We need Paper Moon soon. I took money out for it. Really, I mean it. (I don't know if you're going home at any point, exactly)

I'm looking forward to the pwn.